Permanent Residence/Green Cards

Many local laws and courts have been affected by COVID-19. Please use the search for legal help tool to find a legal aid organization or self help center near you for accurate information and more support.

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

You must file a request with USCIS on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires.

Most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 1 days of moving.

A job offer, investment, self-petition, and special categories.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

This interactive map and search engine that will help you find legal assistance near you.

The process varies depending on the origin country.

Form fees, eligibility requirements, fee waiver eligibility, required documents, and mailing addresses vary depending on the form you are filing and why you are filing.

You are not required to apply for a green card; however, it may be in your best interest to do so.

If you were admitted as a refugee, you are required by law to apply for a Green Card (permanent residence) in the United States 1 year after being admitted as a refugee.

Recognizing that some applicants cannot pay the filing fees, USCIS established a fee waiver process for certain forms and benefit types.

You can use this dictionary to quickly look up a definition or explanation for a topic.

Adjustment of Status, Consular Processing, Concurrent Filing, Visa Availability & Priority Dates, Child Status Protection Act, and more.

You may file an appeal on some unfavorable decisions to the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

Petition for certain family members to receive either a green card, a fiancee visa or a K-3/K-4 Visa.

You may be eligible to get a green card (permanent residence) under the Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act if you meet all of the following conditions:

1. You are a native or citizen of Vietnam, Kampuchea (Cambodia), or Laos
2. You were inspected and paroled into the United States before October 1, 1997
3. You were paroled into the United States from Vietnam under the auspices of the Orderly Departure Program (ODP), a refugee camp in East Asia, or a displaced person camp administered by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Thailand
4. You were physically present in the United States prior to and on October 1, 1997
5. You are admissible to the United States

By filing online you can submit and view certain benefit requests, receive electronic notification of decisions, and receive real-time case status updates.

Use your application receipt number to check your case status online.

You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or adjustment of your status to permanent residence.

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

What you should know about leaving and re-entering the U.S.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual's immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is "adjustment of status."

Download your immigration forms online.

Check out these frequently asked questions to find your answer about TPS for Haitians.

Everyone inside the U.S. has certain legal rights, regardless of your immigration status.

Field Offices handle scheduled interviews on non-asylum related applications.