Many local laws and courts have been affected by COVID-19. Please use the search for legal help tool to find a legal aid organization or self help center near you for accurate information and more support.

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

What should a tenant do if his or her apartment needs repairs? Can a landlord force a tenant to move? How many days notice does a tenant have to give a landlord before the tenant moves? Can a landlord raise a tenant’s rent? California Tenants—A Guide to Residential Tenants’ and Landlords’ Rights and Responsibilities answers these questions and many others.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

This resource will help you understand your responsibilities as the tenant in case your landlord has started the eviction process.

Even though California has ended most protections for renters due to COVID-19, as of October 1, 2021 renters still have important legal protections! This fact sheet covers key renter protections that could benefit you.

Information on Just Cause Eviction, Relocation Assistance, & Right to Lease in Glendale.

Information on statewide tenant's rights, COVID-19, eviction, harassment, habitability and repair, and more

Your Rights in Los Angeles County

Information and resources for Berkeley Tenants facing eviction.

Resources for tenants on eviction and harassment protections in Union City, CA.

Your Rights in the City of Los Angeles.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

Information for tenants impacted by COVID-19 on eviction protections and rental assistance .

Information on eviction protection and tenant/landlord services in Antioch, CA

Check out California Court's FAQ's on Eviction.

List of resources that can help you, if you are facing eviction in San Francisco

Legal information, rental assistance and other resources for tenants in Alameda County

Introduction to what a tenants union is, and how to form one to fight for tenants' collective interests and rights.

This resource includes help for those struggling to pay rent and utilites, tenant eviction protections, tenant and lanlord mediation services, and a self help housing renters hotline.

A guide to eviction protection, and rent relief programs for tenants impacted by COVID-19.

Rent Control, Buyouts, Condo & TIC Conversions, Habitability & Repairs, Harassment by Landlord, Sales of Buildings, Security Deposits, Short-Term Rentals

If you need help paying rent or utilities, please apply for rental & utility assistance through the website below.

This resource provides general instructions regarding the eviction process inside or outside the court.

What to Do If You Receive a 60-Day Notice to Terminate Tenancy in Long Beach (and LA County) During COVID.

Informational Sheets for Tenants & Landlords.

Topics such as: repair issues; security deposits; interest on security deposits, and the rent board fee; eviction issues; landlord petitions and passthroughs tenant petitions; annual allowable rent increases and banked rent increases; hearings, mediations and appeals; utility passthroughs; water revenue bond passthroughs.

Know your rights information, rental assistance, eviction information and other resources.

Resources and information for tenants in Hayward on COVID-19 rental relief, eviction, discrimination, and much more.

Information on eviction protections, rent relief, and other resources for tenants and homeowners in El Cerrito, CA

Information on eviction protections, rental assistance and other resources for tenants in Richmond, CA

Information on resources, rental assistance and eviction protections for tenants in San Pablo, CA

Application for tenants in Kern county to get rental assistance

This resources includes information for COVID-19 rent relief, financial aid, homeless services, eviction assistance, and food assistance in Yuba County.

General resources for tenants in Emeryville, including resources on finding affordable housing, eviction support, and tenant rights.

A list of affordable housing facilities and housing service programs for Santa Clara county.

A summary of protections and available resources for tenants impacted by COVID-19, including eviction support and rental assistance.

Information and resources for tenants and property owners in Emeryville impacted by COVID-19

While the City of Santa Clarita COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program has ended, the State of California is still accepting applications and has funding specifically set aside for City of Santa Clarita residents. The City contracts with the Housing Rights Center to provide Fair Housing services, including landlord/tenant counseling, in the Santa Clarita community.

This resource provides information on housing, utility, food bank, and rental assistance in Tehama County.

Information on evicition protections, renal assistance and other resources for renters in Livermore.

If you need help paying rent or utilities in Moreno Valley, Ca, please apply for rental & utility assistance through the website posted below.

Resources for tenants and property owners on rental assistance, affordable housing, tenants rights, discrimination, mortgage assistance, first time home ownership and more.

Norwalk residents have access to attorney representation for eviction defense and court proceedings from Community Legal Services.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

Housing resources for renters impacted by COVID-19

Chula Vista eviction resources that include rent and utility assistance, apartment protections, mortgage delays, and more.

Answers to commonly asked questions around topics like evictions, tenants rights, discrimination, foreclosure and more.

Resources for tenants and property owners in Dublin, CA on rent relief, tenants rights, mortgage assistance, and other services.

Information and resources for tenants facing eviction in Humboldt County

Protections for residents and causes for evictions.

A list of eviction prevention resource list if you live in San Luis Obispo County

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

Over the past few years the County of Marin, State of California, and other Cities and Towns within Marin County have adopted legislation regarding rental housing. This page is designed to be a central hub to access information about this legislation and various tools for both renters and landlords.

If your landlord wants to evict you, he or she must file a court case against you called an “unlawful detainer.” The landlord must have someone serve you (give you) the court papers called a “Summons” and “Complaint.”

Resources and information for tenants and landlords around fair housing, discrimination and other issues

General information and resources for renters, homeless residents, first-time homebuyers, and property owners in Newark, CA.


Information on the City of Fresno's rental assistance and eviction protection programs for tenants

ADR is usually less formal, less expensive, and less time-consuming than a trial.

Information for tenants in Del Norte County impacted by COVID-19

Legal information for unhoused youth

General information for tenants whose housing is at risk.

No. It is illegal for a landlord to lockout a tenant (renter), remove a tenant’s belongings, cut off utilities (such as water or electricity), or remove outside windows or doors in order to force a tenant to leave.

The law limits excessive rent, reasons for evictions, and rent increases.

Information on rent relief for Imperial County tenants.

Only basic information from this student-run organization.

Such as security deposits, rent increases, roommates, and evictions.

Programs and resources, including rental assistance and eviction protections for tenants in Arcata.

Information on eviction protections, rental assistance, and other resources for tenants

This video clip provides information regarding the options available to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. The video clip consists of five chapters organized in an automatic playlist.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

Use this tipsheet to calculate your deadline to appeal a California Limited Civil Unlawful Detainer Order.

873 N. Main St. Suite 120, Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 873-3581

This tipsheet may be helpful if you are appealing a Limited Civil Unlawful Detainer Case (eviction case) order or judgment. If you lose a Limited Civil Unlawful Detainer Case, you may want to appeal the case. An appeal is when you ask a higher court to review the trial court’s decision in the original case.