Divorce and Spousal Support/Alimony

Many local laws and courts have been affected by COVID-19. Please use the search for legal help tool to find a legal aid organization or self help center near you for accurate information and more support.

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

When a couple legally separates or divorces, the court may order 1 spouse or domestic partner to pay the other a certain amount of support money each month. This is called "spousal support" for married couples and "partner support" in domestic partnerships. It is sometimes also called "alimony."

ADR is usually less formal, less expensive, and less time-consuming than a trial.

Information about family law for domestic partners.

A step-by-step outline of the process for divorce/separation.

Find information about ending a marriage or registered domestic partnership.

Getting an earnings assignment (wage garnishment).

Family changes: birth or adoption, domestic partnership, marriage or divorce, or personal information changes; name or address changes; employment changes: leave of absence, leaving calpers membership, retirement, returning to work, or death/illness/injury; death or terminal illness: injury/disability

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

Types of property: community, separate, quasi-community, and mixed community.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

My Spouse/Partner Filed a Response and We Have an Agreement.

This link includes videos that provide information about child custody, divorce, and and representation in family court.

Your options if you were asked for a divorce or separation.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

The purpose of this Email Hotline is for WomensLaw to provide basic legal information, referrals, and emotional support.

If you are getting divorced and want to change your name to back to your maiden name, you can usually do that in your divorce case.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

Steps for changing Spousal/Partner Financial Support.

Except in the case of Social Security and Tier I Railroad Retirement benefits, a court order is necessary for someone who has been divorced to get a share of a pension.