Childcare, Kinship, and Foster Parent Assistance

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman has been mandated to do the following: Ensure the voice of foster children and youth is heard, and act on their behalf; Create an avenue for foster children and youth to file complaints regarding their placement, care and services without fear of retribution from those who provide their care and services; Act as an independent forum for the investigation and resolution of complaints made by or on behalf of children placed in foster care and make appropriate referrals; Provide children and youth with information on their rights when placed in foster care; Maintain a toll-free telephone number which foster children and youth may call from anywhere in California to express their concerns and complaints.

You can request a free interpreter to be with you in court.

A court interpreter verbally translates (called “interpreting”) everything the judge and others say from spoken English into your primary language, and everything you say back into spoken English.

This resource has the answers to commonly asked questions about court interpreters, including how to ask for one.

Apply online here instead of by mail, phone, or in-person.

Kin-GAP is a California and federally-funded payment program designed to support foster children who have been placed in long-term foster care with a relative caregiver.

Looking for Benefits? Answer questions to find out which government benefits you may be eligible to receive.

Guardianships, dependency proceedings, getting a child out of a shelter, visitation rights of grandparents, when permanent custody is necessary, adoption, foster care, public benefits, relative caregiver options chart, and school issues.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

The purpose of the program is to support parents as they transition to the stable, long-term child care necessary for the family to leave and remain off aid.

Custodial option, financial resources available to provide for the child in your care, including cash assistance, government programs and community services, and advice on what to do if you are treated unfairly or do not receive what you are entitled to by law.

This publication focuses on the primary child care subsidy programs in California and special considerations each program may have for families involved in the child welfare system.

What is Dependency? How can LSC help you? Can anyone other than Child Protective Services file a dependency petition? What happens next after Child Protective Services files a dependency petition? What if I am already in foster care and have questions? What if I am already in foster care and a Non-Minor Dependent (over the age of 18)? What if I have questions about AB12 or Higher Education? What if I exited foster care after the age of 18 but I want to come back in?

This guide tells you about different types of child care and early childhood education programs. It tells you how to look for them and for before- or after-school programs for your older grandchildren. It also describes how you may get help paying for this care.

The law says that anyone may file a complaint
against a family child care provider. This could include the parent of a child cared for in a family child care home, a parent of a child who used to receive care in a family child care home, a neighbor, a landlord or anyone else.

This question and answer guide is designed to address many of the frequently asked questions about protecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in the California foster care system from harassment and discrimination.

If you disagree with a decision that MCAP has made regarding your eligibility, disenrollment, or transfer, you may appeal to the Executive Director.

This resource guide was designed to answer basic legal questions related to marriage, domestic partnerships, parenting, foster care, and youth issues.