1831 K Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
The California Office of Patients' Rights (COPR) is a unit within Disability Rights California. COPR is contracted through the Department of State Hospitals. COPR has statutorily mandated duties that include:
- Ensuring that the mental health laws, regulations, and polices on the rights of recipients of mental health services are observed and protected in state hospitals and in licensed health and community care facilities.
- Providing training support and technical assistance to county and state hospital patient rights' advocates.
- Serving as a liaison between county patients' rights advocates and the Department of State Hospitals.
- Responding to patients' rights complaints referred by local mental health directors or DSH. - Analyzing and make recommendations regarding legislation on patients' rights.
- Developing quality assurance service goals and measurable outcomes to improve the quality of California patients' rights program
COPR also provides direct advocacy services on-site to the five state hospitals, Atascadero, Coalinga, Napa, Metropolitan and Patton.