Elder Abuse

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Ask questions and get answers, in real time, right here on the Internet, from live law librarians throughout California.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

What to do about known or suspected elder abuse?

Seniors: Protect yourself from fraud and financial abuse! Be vigilant, be observant. Physical or financial abuse will continue so long as no one knows about it. Listed below are our Top 10 Safety Tips to always keep in mind.

Financial abuse, such as exploitation and fraud.

A guide for community service providers on what to look for.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

Here is listing of advocates and offices that help people in long-term care and their loved ones throughout California.

Several state, local and federal organizations are available to help you. If you need to report abuse, visit National Center for Elder ABuse's Reporting Abuse and State Resources pages.

You can ask for an elder or dependent adult abuse restraining order.

This guidebook is designed to help victims of financial abuse navigate the system so that if there is a chance for restitution that opportunity won"t be missed.

What are the warning signs of elder abuse? What can I do?

How to identify different types of abuse.

You can call CANHR at (800) 474 - 1116.

What should you do if you suspect financial abuse?

If you want to report elder abuse or dependent adult abuse in the community, contact your local county APS Office. For most types of abuse, County APS programs have 10 days to respond to your report. Abuse reports may also be made to your local law enforcement agency.County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes, apartments, hotels or hospitals.

If you're concerned about an older friend or relative, here are some things to consider.