About This Site
|Got ideas? Give us feedback!|
What is LawHelpCA?
LawHelpCA is California’s official and free legal resource.
- RELIABLE information about common legal issues, written by reputable sources on 16 general topics and over 140 specific subtopics
- UPDATED directory of legitimate and pre-screened organizations that offer free or low-cost legal advice and representation
Why should I use LawHelpCA?
- AUTHORITATIVE links are constantly checked and updated
- COMPREHENSIVE directory of organizations that can provide legal help
- EASY to read and navigate; designed with smooth access in mind
Where does information on LawHelpCA come from?
- Examples: California Department of Consumer Affairs, Federal Trade Commission
- Examples: Legal Services of Northern California, Legal Aid Society
- Examples: Judicial Council, Contra Costa County Superior Court
- Examples: Equal Rights Advocates, World Institute on Disability
Who runs LawHelpCA?
Legal Aid Association of California
The Legal Aid Association of California (LAAC) is the statewide membership organization for the almost 100 nonprofits funded through IOLTA (Interest on Lawyer Trust Account) grants by the State Bar of California. Capitalizing on its structure as a membership organization, LAAC naturally takes on the role of advocating on behalf of this group of nonprofits. LAAC facilitates communication and coordination between programs, trains in core substantive areas, analyzes best practices, and assesses and improves the effectiveness of the delivery of legal aid in California, including working strategically to support rural and small programs and meet the needs of under-served populations.
Pro Bono Net
Pro Bono Net is a national nonprofit organization based in New York City and San Francisco. Pro Bono Net works in close partnership with nonprofit legal organizations across the United States and Canada, to increase access to justice for the millions of poor people who face legal problems every year without help from a lawyer.
If you are an attorney looking for pro bono opportunities at a legal aid organization, please visit www.CaliforniaProBono.org.
Who funds LawHelpCA?
What is LawHelpCA's history?
LawHelpCA is a collaborative project started by the federally-funded Legal Services Corporation, with policy oversight from the CalJustice Advisory Committee and assistance from advocates at legal aid programs throughout the state.
The LawHelpCA staff gratefully acknowledges the CalJustice advisory committee for their guidance in building this site. Committee members contributed their time and experience to ensure that LawHelpCA provides a clear and simple portal to quality legal services referrals and legal self-help information. We thank the following organizations for their participation on the advisory committee: Judicial Council, Bay Legal, California Indian Legal Services, Inland Counties Legal Services, Legal Aid Society of Orange County, Legal Aid Society of San Diego, Legal Services of Northern California, OneJustice, State Bar of California, VLSP - San Francisco Bar Association, Western Center on Law & Poverty.
LawHelp Iconography is derived from Google’s Material Design Icons, which are available under the Apache License v2.0, with the exception of the “Statue of Liberty” icon, which is licensed from Icons8.com under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Social media icons sourced from FontAwesome under under a Creative Commons 3.0 License.