Green Cards for Individuals Already in U.S. (Adjustment of Status)

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual's immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is "adjustment of status."
Authored by
US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Energy Level
Was this page helpful?